Tuesday 11 March 2014

Zambia 2014 - Diary 8

Zambia 2014 - Diary 8

This really is my final blog as we leave for the airport early tomorrow morning ....

9:30am and we're off to the church to present certificates to the literacy and IT students.  We haven't printed them yet mind, and everyone is arriving at 10am ... I love this Zambia lifestyle!

Jimmy got the programme set up and we began to run off 30+ literacy and 60+ IT certificates whilst everyone sat chatting and chilling in the church or in the front foyer area.  Once my signature was added I went off in to the church hall to begin giving them out.  I felt a bit of a scruff compared to the finest outfits they had all turned out in!!  Suddenly realised I had to make this a fairly formal occasion.  Farayi obliged with photo shoots which everyone wanted with their certificate.  It was a really lovely time.

There was a 20 minute interval whilst we waited for Jimmy to finalise his certificates, then he did likewise, presenting them to individuals.  It caused great hilarity among those sitting waiting, listening to our pronunciation of their Zambian names :)

We finished this event with a group photo, prayers, and the local pastors presented the Multiply team with a copper picture of Zambia.  They also expressed their gratitude for all the work we had done and urged us not to forget them and even added in a couple of requests (we expected that :) ... getting used to it now).

Hannah and I went on in to the school to say goodbye to all the children and gave out some lollies (a favourite over here).  It was lovely to see their happy, smiling faces!

Then off in to town to exchange our kwacha back to dollars as we may need them in Nairobi.  We met .up with Gladys on the way back to the car (stood outside two takeway shops (Zambeef and Zamchick) who had been doing some shopping for the dinner that she had arranged at her place this evening for us and all the pastors and wives from the church.  Hannah and I fell about laughing to see her with a large crate of fizzy drinks at her feet, a grass-broom in one hand, and a blue carrier bag in the other with 4 chicken heads sticking out and still moving!  Fresh chicken for tea tonight :)  Hannah lept out of her car seat at one point on the way home as she had forgotten they were in the boot and they started flapping and squawking lol.

We headed back to the church as we wanted to spend as much time as we could with the children before we left today as this would be our farewell day.

It was a fairly chilled time, just sitting chatting, eating sweet.  One of the lads played and sang the guitar; Haggai, the youth leader, came along for a while so it was good to have the opportunity to say cheerio to him too.  I had taken my sewing kit with me as I determined to spend this time mending some of the girls clothes.  They were very happy, and I left the kit with one of the older girls who knew how to sew.  In fact I ended up giving away a few things, like my flip flops and a scrubbing brush which one of them liked. Would really like to send some school uniforms and clothes etc over for these children!

It started to get dark as we had to wait for George to collect us for the dinner (he was over 1 hour late ... )  We chilled in the church hall, the girls taking lots of photos and movies with my camera, writing us farewell notes, and the lads singing, dancing and playing drums on the stage.

It was getting to that stage where we just wished George would hurry up and come because it was dragging out what was going to be a very difficult parting.  He came and we gathered our bags to make our way down the aisle of the church to the door, then out in to the car.  There were hugs and a few stifled tears.  Young Catherine was going to be the hardest to say farewell to.  She hugged me round my middle a couple of times, and as I walked toward the door she put both arms round me and said, 'I don't feel well that you are going ...'  I'm was glad for the poor lighting and the darkness outside, but I reassured her as best I could.  The bigger girls came over to hug and say goodbye and I asked them to look after Catherine as this was tough for her.  I was relieved to see Sharon, the overseer of the orphanage arrive.  She hadn't been around all day due to being unwell, so it was good to know she would be there for them all this evening. 

Hannah and I are determined to keep in touch and continue to encourage them as often as we can.  They are an amazing group of young people who have suffered much and love their Lord.

On then to a fine evening of fellowship and food at Gladys's.  Those chucks looked very different to earlier to day, but tasted mighty fine!  Bishop Stephen rang whilst we were eating to say words of thanks and farewell which was encouraging.  I also had a call from Len in Dar es salam.  Sounds like they've had an amazing time.

There were words of thanks and gratitude all round, we prayed and said our long  farewells accompanied by the usual photo shoots, hugs and kisses.

We have truly felt very welcome and at home among our brothers and sisters here and made some deep friendships.  I really thank God for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this team.  It's been amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment